It started on Sunday, the 27th of July. I woke up really crampy and REALLY hopeful because I was scheduled to be induced on Monday at 6am. Bryan's family, his mom and two sisters, were visiting from Rock Springs and so all day we hung out with them and had a fun BBQ during lunch time. Around 4 everyone was leaving so Bryan and I decided to take Jayda to Dairyland and get her an icecream cone with his youngest sister before they left town. We got there and before I could even sit down and enjoy it I had an amazingly strong contraction. It made me stop in my tracks and I couldn't even breath. I went and sat down after it was over and before I even licked my icecream cone I started to have another one. They were barely a minute and thirty seconds apart so I told Bryan to call my dad right then to meet us at the hospital to pick up Jayda. We got to the hospital at 5:00 and I was 4cm dilated. After the nurse checked me, she started rushing around calling more nurses to help her set up quickly and to get a hold of my dr to get in there right away. I was so confused, at 4cm I thought I still had a long labor ahead of me. All of a sudden the contractions picked up and were extremely painful. They had called the dr to give me an epidural and I was so anxious for him to get there. Anytime anyone came in the room I asked if it was Chris (the dr). The nurses were still rushing around and filling out forms and setting up all of the instruments. A half an hour later the nurse check me and I was 8cm, she was concerned that I was too far along to get an epidural, I had a COW!!! I did NOT take any birthing classes, so thank god my nurse was extremely sweet and helped me breath through the contractions and helped me relax. Finally the dr came to give me my epidural (at 6:00pm) and was done putting it in at 6:08pm. We had to stop a few times because my contractions were so strong. While I was getting it, I suddenly felt the intense urge to push. I never felt that with Jayda since I had an epidural that time so it was a very weird sensation. My nurse had to get into my face and talk me through my contractions because I couldn't NOT push. My dr was still about 8 minutes away and so they wanted me to stall until he got in there. He finally got there and so I started pushing, which felt SOOOO much better. I pushed three or four times and then my water broke (all over my dr and myself, lol). A few pushes later Dallyn was born! After my water broke Dallyn's heart rate dropped scarily low and so the dr and the nurse really pushed me to get him out really fast. When his head came out, he had the cord around his neck so tight the dr couldn't unwrap it so he clamped it and cut it quickly. So at 6:21pm, Dallyn Randall Griffin was born! He came out and cried right away. Even though his heart rate dropped and he was dark purple, the dr still put him on my stomach right away and they started to rub him and suck the gunk out of his mouth. He was absolutely perfect! I got to hold him for about 15 minutes and then they took him to the warmer to make sure everything was ok and he was 100% healthy.
My labor was so fast that my dad and Jayda were still playing at the park right down the street so they were able to come over and see Dallyn about 15 minutes after he was born. Everyone got to see him get weighed and measured. He weighed 7lbs 1.1oz and was 20 1/4 inches long. Jayda didn't take a nap that day so she wasn't really sure what was going on.
It was an amazing experience, I am sure that I will remember it for the rest of my life. I was so proud of myself that I handled a natural childbirth (since my epidural didn't even have time to take effect, lol) the way I did. I was loud and did my share of screaming while he was coming out but all in all I think I handled it well. Next time I will definitely be ready for anything. After Jayda's birth taking about 12 hours, I was sure that I was in for a least a few hours of labor with this little guy!
So even though he procrastinated, when he got busy he REALLY got busy!!
Here is Bryan cutting his cord after he was out

Getting cleaned off

First Family Picture

Checking out our new baby boy!

Dallyn getting weighed

Daddy Holding Dallyn for the first time

Jayda meeting Dallyn for the first time

My little sister and I while Dallyn was getting weighed. She was there through the whole labor....I am pretty sure she won't be having children for a while :)
6 comments:
Ahhhhhh !!! How great!! Dallayn didn't waste any time once he made up his mind!!
Way to go Mama!!!!
(( HUGS))
YAY!!!!! Good job mama :) What an amazing story!!! I can't wait to see him.
Get some rest and get back to S.D. SOOOOON :)
xo
Ashley, he is just beautiful and perfect! You did so great! What a wonderful birth story. I wish the best for your beautiful new family!
Yeah, Ashley. Great job, and great story. I loved how it revolved around you getting your ice cream cone. We sure miss you in San Diego, can't wait to meet the little guy, how exciting.
Colleen
Way to go Ashley! I thought Anika came out quick (2 hours). I can totally relate to wanting to push during the epidural! But mine did kick in before she came out :) You go girl! Cant wait to see you guys!
Congratulations!! What a great birthing story.. it makes me feel a lot better. I had a terrible time with Gavin so I pray this next one comes as quickly as yours. I can't wait to see more pictures and hear more stories. He looks beautiful. :)
Post a Comment