Sunday, December 7, 2008

Homesick







It seems like as soon as the temperature starts dropping back in Wyoming my heart instantly starts getting homesick. It's such an amazing place that most people out here can't even begin to understand. There is just something comforting about being surrounded by people who have known you forever.....as far back as your memory goes......that work everywhere. You never feel alone in a store or worry about someone giving you a rotten deal because you most likely went to school with them or they went to school with your parents. The comfort comes in the form of seasons, snow, leaves falling, and yes.......the smell of horse and cow crap :) Where the biggest traffic jam you will ever come across is running through a cattle drive going the opposite way. I miss seeing my parents sitting on the porch every morning just enjoying the scenery and the fresh air.

My heart longs for the time when we can all move home as a family and be where we all love and thrive. I can't wait to own a horse again and raise a new batch of chickens. I can't wait to take my kids out every morning and teach them about loving animals and helping me gather eggs and feed all of them. Some of my fondest memories as a little kid happened out at the barn on the sled my grandpa used to pull me and the hay around to feed all of the livestock.

I am so scared that my kids will grow up "city kids" and be materialistic and not know the meaning of "a hard days work". I am feel so rushed to cram in every little thing I can when we go home to Wyoming so that they will know where their parents came from. Coming from such a wonderful place it would be so easy for me to take San Diego for granted. I am making my new year's resolution early. I am vowing to never forget how wonderful this place is, even if I don't particularly fit in here. When we first moved here I was so intimidated, it took me almost a year just to drive on the freeways (so PATHETIC, I know). Although, I do have to say that we have the best friends ever and they make being here so much easier :) I wish I could take you all home with me and then you would see why I am so weird, HAHA!!
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Alliegatorfables said...

I hear you Ash. I come from the same place. I don't know if I will ever move back-but I think you take a piece of that with you and pass it on.

my little buttercup said...

I want to move back with you now. That was a really neat post. Love the pictures.

The only thing I have close to that is a place my family vactioned every year. We no longer go, and it is really expensive so Kyle and I can't afford to bring the kids, but it was a dude ranch, and even if it was just for a week, your post reminded me of some of the reasons I loved the place so much. I too hope I can share a similar experience with my kids one day.